Monday, September 26, 2011

Culture Shock, Starbucks & Peanut Butter


Misunderstanding often results in emotional turmoil. Feelings of doubt and fear frequently arise during these times of uncertainty, fostering a sense of loss and insecurity, but it is these times that ultimately cultivate strength in mind, person, and most importantly, heart.

Coming from the girl whose broken Spanish landed her in small town Salamanca, Spain, culture shock can happen to the best of us. Upon entrance into apartment 3C I found myself living with three strangers who spoke no English, had never tried peanut butter, and always wore slippers. Naked feet were never accepted.

Initially embracing these cultural differences with fascination and excitement for new discovery and adventure, I eventually found myself feeling disconnected, longing for comfort, and ultimately homesick. Turning to my parents for support, I surprising found inspiration in my Dad’s attempt at consolation: “Well you are there for 4 months, so practice your Spanish and get over it”.

Although initially a harsh response, it is this tough love that I needed. Ultimately, adaption is a personal choice and mine was to adapt. My Spanish was horrible, I missed my friends, my Starbucks, and of course my peanut butter but I decided to “get over it”. I committed to learning the language, socializing with the locals, and taking every opportunity to experience the culture. 4 months later, packing to return home, it was the best choice I’ve ever made. Crying and hugging the three former strangers I now considered family, I decided it was worth 4 months of no Starbucks…..and maybe even 4 months of no peanut butter.

So from one chica to another here are some tips to get over culture shock:

#1 Get coffee with a friend. Recognize what you’re feeling, talk about it, and then make a plan to overcome it.

#2 Keep busy. Free time, boredom, and being alone create opportunity for these natural emotions to overwhelm you.

#3 Surround yourself with positive people. “Toxic friends” and their tendency to complain are often draining and prove to be negative influences on personal happiness, health, and well-being.

#4 Commit to learning the language. Even if just one word every day. Communication fosters connection, essential to adaptation.

#5 Don’t compare. Everyone’s program is different and your time abroad is unique. You’re experience will be what you decide it to be.

#6 Travel to places YOU want to see. Even if you have to go without people you formerly know. Bus2alps makes this easy, running trips all over Europe, so even if you book your trip alone, you are never traveling alone.

#7 Keep in touch with friends and family from home. It is important to remain connected with the people you care about, regardless of where on the globe they may be.

#8 Realize you have a departure date. This experience will end. Make friends. Make goals. Accomplish them. Leave satisfied.

#9 Step out of your comfort zone. Even if you came abroad with a group of friends, make every effort to meet new people and experience new things.

#10 Appreciate differences. Learn to appreciate cultural differences rather than feel animosity towards them. Fully embrace these differences and the opportunities they offer. Live. Leave with no regrets.

Because soon enough you will be home with your Starbucks and your peanut butter…live. love. travel.

Un beso.

No comments:

Post a Comment